Saturday, August 27, 2011

City politicians go online to connect with masses
Most of the elected representatives opt for networking sites to stay connected with people and to discuss their issues


From Bollywood celebrities to television actors, and from entrepreneurs to social activists, everyone today has a social presence. You got it right, from updating statuses on Facebook to posting their views on Twitter, they are extremely active online. Then why should the prominent political figures from Navi Mumbai stay behind; they have captured the trend and are quite well flaunting it. City politicians and social workers have taken to social networking sites like never before.
Starting with the honourable mayor of Navi Mumbai, Sagar Naik has a prominent presence on Facebook. He mentioned, "I am a common man on these social networking sites, as a mayor, it is my duty to look into people's problems irrespective of their castes or their belonging to any political party. I am on Facebook, since I want my people to be in touch with me and discuss their issues with me."
Dashrath Bhagat, one of the standing committee members is also on Facebook and uses it as a medium for his social activities carried out in Navi Mumbai. He explains, "My work doesn't limit to Navi Mumbai, it extends to Maharashtra and at all India level many a times. Being active on social networking sites helps me sent messages about events and is a great way to communicate with my people. Moreover, when I or friends or colleagues indulges in any kind of social works, we share photos and details about the same on these sites and that's one way we can interact with the masses. Also, it proves to be very helpful when we need to send across press notes or standing committee updates to the media." He agrees that staying active on Facebook, Orkut or twitter can prove to be very helpful for their work.
While Netra Shirke, one of the prominent political figures from the city states that it helps me connect with her people and she indeed loves the interaction. "Basically, I am on Facebook for some of the young voters of my ward, they have inspired me to take up my work on these sites. In fact, it works as a great way to stay in touch in the masses and also talk to them whenever they want to talk to me. It helps me keep updated with the activities happening in my ward, also helps me get people's feedback on certain issues," she mentioned. She is also planning to do something different this year, as she plans to send across Ganpati festival invitations to everyone through Facebook. Also she would be sending out messages and announcements about organising some games for youngsters through Facebook Netra is also on Twitter and she likes to tweet sometimes, as she doesn't find quite often.
Namdeo Bhagat, president of Navi Mumbai District Congress who has not yet taken to any of the social networking sites till date mentioned that he too has plans of joining one very soon. "Considering our area of work, being a social networking site is of great help. From making several event announcements to putting across your view on certain issues, these sites are very useful. In fact, I also want to interact with members from different wards and discuss developmental and other issues and interact with the masses about their complaints, etc.," he stated.
To add to this Bharat Nakhate, the deputy mayor of Navi Mumbai, mentioned that social networking sites have come in as a revolution in our lives. "Through these sites, people contact us personally and tell us about certain issues that they face in the city. In fact there are some issues that we have to tackle not just at the Navi Mumbai level but at a broader level, which can be done by being active on these sites," he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Categories

Blog Archive