Sunday, December 23, 2012

Marathi calligraphy on tees-tshirts

The blue T-shirt on businessman Satish Singh looks like just any other ordinary causal wear. But there is something special about the T-shirt: it has words of famous Marathi poet Kusumagraj printed on it.
“I am impressed with the calligraphy, colours and the wordings on the T-shirt. These are lines from a famous poem. This T-shirt connects me in some way to Maharashtra and I feel proud,” said Singh, a non-Maharashtrian.
According to the businessman who deals in chemicals, promoting the local flavour through T-shirts is an interesting idea.
“There is a demand for these T-shirts in Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh and Delhi. My friends have liked them so much that I have personally sent many Marathi T-shirts to UP, Gujarat and Delhi. In fact, the people now want to make T-shirts in Tamil and Malayalam calligraphy,” Singh added.
The concept of Marathi T-shirts was propounded by Unmesh Joshi, a member of the family that runs a garment business under the brand name, Bharatiya Vastrashilpa. Joshi, a lover of poetry, said: “I like Marathi poetry and I am happy I have been able to popularise it among the young people through these T-shirts. So, I requested Pallav sir [Achyut Pallav, renowned calligraphist] to design them for the T-shirts.”
Joshi said he has ensured that he gets the written permission from the poets or their relatives.
Irene Johny, who bought some of these T-shirts for her daughter, said: “The T-shirts look good, no doubt. The colours are nice and the fabric is of good quality. More importantly, the calligraphy is clear and legible. I bought them for my daughter. Her friends liked the T-shirts and now they also plan to buy them.”
Pallav, who designed the Hutatma memorial for T-shirts in which one can read the names of all 106 martyrs, says the words on people’s dress reflect their sentiments.
“I wanted the new generation to connect to the words, names of the martyrs and the meaning of the lines written by the poets,” Pallav said.
Jayesh Satra, in charge of distribution for the T-shirts says: “The designs are protected by the copyright act. We sell nearly 10,000 T-shirts every month. We have reached 15 districts and our four outlets are at Shivaji Park alone.”

No comments:

Post a Comment


Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Categories

Blog Archive