Friday, October 25, 2013

Your IGCSE School Guide

Your IGCSE School Guide


BUILDING A STRONG FOUNDATION

RAJ BHUVA, A CLASS X IGCSE STUDENT AT DHIRUBHAI AMBANI INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL SHARES HOW AN INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION HAS AIDED HIS HOLISTIC DEVELOPMENT


Irecollect a 13-year-old me romanticising the hardships and intimidating challenges that the IGCSE course was going to confront me with. And now as I step into its final year, I cannot help but smile at the roller coaster ride the journey has been.
    IGCSE has completely altered the way I look at academics today. Laying a greater emphasis on critical thinking and application skills, the course has the potential to transform teenagers into creative thinkers with global perspectives and cultural awareness.
    Initially, it can be quite daunting to cope up with the completely different way in which one is taught. Luckily for me, the much required skill of note-making wasn’t really a problem. The completely application-based questions in tests continued to catch one off
guard. But I eventually realised that the key to doing well in any subject lay in fortifying one’s concepts as a foundation and to then use it in any tricky scenario that the course might present. But, even being puzzled by such situations is an amazing learning experience in itself; it elicited nothing but a different, acute manner of thinking from me.
    It’s true that at some point the course can prove to be very taxing, especially in class IX and X, but needless to say it does have its advantages. My English
coursework, for instance, was a great opportunity for me to explore the various styles of effective writing while honing my skills of research and structuring ideas or arguments. Even my science lab reports, whose pickiness and length I perpetually would crib about, ironically made me realise the importance of following an established order of scientific enquiry.
    It was during class IX that another side of the IGCSE was revealed to me — one that dealt with the course and the exams
from an examiner’s point of view. I understood that the course was not driven simply on ‘knowledge’ of the syllabi but also required one to interpret what exactly a question demanded and therefore craft an ideal answer. Thus, the course also had a technical aspect to it which could not be aced by solely knowing all the curriculum content. I have since learned to work smart and not necessarily hard.
    The unique educational
environment that my school provided has helped me immensely benefit from the IGCSE curriculum and pedagogy. The Dhirubhai Ambani International School Model United Nations (DAIMUN), exchange programmes, community service initiatives, TEDx talks, Round Square and DAIS Leadership Series with talks by leaders from many walks of life, are amongst the opportunities that became an integral part of our studies.
    In short, through its academic rigour and very demanding syllabus requirements, the IGCSE has imparted me the valuable attributes of time-management, research, innovative thinking, global outlook and the courage to think out-of-the-box. It has indeed been an enriching experience to be part of the IGCSE programme at DAIS.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Categories

Blog Archive