Friday, May 10, 2013

Australian rapper Iggy Azalea who makes no bones about her explicit songs, and talks about music, life and her recent trip to Mumbai

I DON’T APOLOGISE FOR WHO I AM

...says Australian rapper Iggy Azalea who makes no bones about her explicit songs, and talks about music, life and her recent trip to Mumbai



    She’s hot, brash, in your face, says exactly what’s on her mind and is unapologetic about the way she is. Meet Australian rapper, Iggy Azalea. She began rapping at the age of 14 while being totally influenced with hip hop and rap culture since the age of 11. Coming from a poor background, Iggy dropped out of high school and moved to Miami, US, in 2006, at the age of 16. Six years later, she’s steadily making her mark as a rapper with songs like Work, Pu$$y, My World and Beat Down. She has also dabbled as a model for an international denim wear brand. We caught up with Iggy who was in Mumbai last week, to shoot a music video for her song Bounce, from her upcoming debut studio album, The New Classic. Excerpts from the interview: 

Was it easier to establish yourself as a female rapper? It wasn’t all that easy. It’s a journey. Everybody has their own success story in the music industry. I came to America when I was 16. I was young and excited about my work. I have been working on my craft for the past six years, meeting people, etc.

Did being a non-American make it harder? Being a non-American did not make it hard. In fact, it was harder back in Australia as there was no rap culture there. 

Did your humble background act as a catalyst for your desire to succeed? Did you think you would be successful and famous at the age of 22? Growing up in Australia, I toughened up. It served as a great learning experience. In fact, my humble background made me ambitious. More than being famous, I have always dreamed of being successful. 

You dropped out of high school at the age of 16 and moved to America. Do you wish to complete your education in the near future? My mother was probably not really happy with my decision, but I knew I had to do it. As for completing my education, I haven’t really thought about it in a while. 

What do you hope to achieve in your music career? I love doing shows, playing live and I want to spread my music to as many people. As for any award, I’d love to win a Grammy someday. Every musician would like to win one. 

Tell us about your upcoming album... I spent the last week in Los
Angeles. The New Classic is inspired by my own life. I also have included a special feature in the album, which is going to be a surprise. I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I’d ride an elephant in Mumbai, whilst shooting for my music video. 

2pac (Tupac Shakur) and Missy Elliot have been a major influence on you. What do you admire most about these performers? 2pac’s gorgeous and was an amazing artiste. His music will never cease to inspire his fans. As for Missy, I love her individuality and creativity, and of course her music videos.

What do you think about your contemporaries like Nicki Minaj and Azaelia Banks? I get compared to Nicki Minaj very often and I'm flattered. Some people also draw comparisons between Azaelia and me but we’re very different. 

Which artistes would you like to work with? Missy Elliot because she’s great. And Rihanna too. We’ve met before and she’s so much fun to be with. We can make some great music together. 

Why are your songs loaded with explicit content? Is this also a strategy to increase popularity? That’s the way I communicate with my fans. I don’t think it’s for popularity. That’s the writing in my songs. I don’t think it’s strange and offensive. 

Have you thought about toning down the explicit content in your songs because it also limits your audience? My songs are for an audience belonging to my age group. I have clean versions of my songs too. I feel anyone can have fun with my songs. Young fans can have fun with the clean versions. I don’t make apologies for the way I am. 

You’re popular because of your looks. Do you use it to your full advantage? What according to you is your best feature? Looks may help you with popularity, but looks won’t last forever. My looks might be helpful in my business, but I don’t use it as an advantage. Personality-wise I think my best feature is knowing what I like to do. Looks-wise, it’s my hair. 

What’s your advice for budding female rappers? Work really hard, keep meeting people, keep pushing yourself all the time, attend gigs, meet and network with different people. 

What kind of people do you date? Would you date a regular common man? The guys that I have dated have been quite different from each other. I don’t mind someone who is good looking, someone who is confident but not arrogant. There’s no such ideal guy for me. He could be someone from the music industry, a fashion designer, actor, etc. I wouldn’t mind dating a regular guy like a pilot, doctor, lawyer, etc.

What do you do when you’re not working? I’m usually out chilling with my friends when I’m not working and entertaining my fans.

Iggy Azalea

No comments:

Post a Comment


Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Categories

Blog Archive