Sunday, April 15, 2012

‘Move beyond your self-pity’

‘Move beyond your self-pity’


I am a married woman with a 13-year-old son. Sometimes I think my teenage son is more mature than my husband! He is irresponsible when it comes to handling chores or finances. I have to keep an eye on the accounts to make sure he doesn’t forget to pay a bill. All he seems interested in once he gets home from work is playing video games! What should I do to make him grow up?
Dear Lana Del Rey anti-fan, you might hate me saying this but a husband is just as much a boy as a wife is a mother (with a firmer body of course). Blame Freud. Size doesn’t matter: boys are always boys. But playing video games is a safe perversion; the healthiest form of mid-life crisis. Feel glad that Lana Del Rey, all pouting and crooning, sang about ‘video games’ and not about cocaine, orgy-cults, or bikes, or else your grown couch-potato excuse of an existential crisis-ridden husband could be annoying in a much more drastic way. That said, get your son in on the games — only till he starts thrashing his dad at it, so that he resumes normalcy.
I recently broke-up with my fiancee. We had started a business venture together. I am doing another job right now, which is not going well at present. My problem is that I am not enjoying this job and I am not able to move on without my fiancee. Please tell me how to deal with break-up and how to cope with a job I don’t like?
Dear Never-went-to-B-school, an idea is worth the tissue paper it was conceived on, unless it goes beyond that. Seeing as your first merger (at all levels) bombed (sadly for you, only at one level), I think you need a kick-start. Ask a friend to plant one in your behind, that may help you move beyond your state of self-pity. Then, it’ll be time to look for a new business partner. I suggest matrimony.com but this time, in your profile please add a column for ‘termination notice period’ as also ‘adequate severance compensation’.
I have been attending tuitions and met a great girl there, and we had interesting conversations. But suddenly she stopped attending. I’m pretty sure she’s interested in me as well, so I added her on Facebook and she accepted. What would be the appropriate next step that would let her know that I want to stay in touch, without it appearing as though I am romantically interested?
Dear Numero no-no, so you can’t multiply and you don’t know what it all adds up to, correct? I don’t know what amounts to interesting conversations with someone as simple as you sound, but well, have you considered that this girl was there for actually learning something and once that purpose was met, she moved on. Setting aside such realistic tendencies, she did add you on FB; gosh! I think she wants to get married. Jesus boy! Look sharp. Ask her for a coffee, perhaps start by wondering how come you hadn’t seen her last few times in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Categories

Blog Archive